What I Have Been Doing

Well, not blogging, that's for sure.  Last month yielded a whopping four blogs, one of which was a list and doesn't really count.  I would make this blog a list as well, if I hadn't already said that lists don't count.  And I need this blog to count.  New month, new dedication to spilling the details of my life on the internet.  So this is what I did during the month of May.

I got married.  Of course you knew that already.  And I have to tell you, it wasn't a dream day.  It was hot.  And heat makes me sweaty and grumpy.  And almost everyone was late, mostly due to wrecks and traffic, things over which we had zero control.  The wedding cake came with one side of the frosting sliding off, and so there I stood in my wedding dress and 4 inch heels, smoothing out the buttercream with a butter knife.  The reception area was not set up and could not be decorated upon our arrival, so we waited for servers to set up the proper tables in the proper areas.  This was one of those days where those of us with strong choleric tendencies have to fight off the familiar belief that "If I want it done right, I have to do it myself".  Eventually, though, things were decorated and things were set up.  And I got married to the funniest guy that ever was.  That was the best part of the day.  And then we followed it up with lunch on an uncovered patio in the 93 degree heat.  It was glorious.  Only not.

Then I went to Mexico.  I almost didn't go to Mexico.  The night before the flight, I could not find my passport.  My passport always stays in the same place.  And apparently, the night before the wedding I thought it would be smart to take it out and put it in a special place so I would know where I was.  I just couldn't remember what that special place was.  And so, after 60+ minutes of last minute packing and searching (after we had spent our whole wedding day in the sun and frustrating heat), I had to confess to Jake that I had no idea where it was.  Within minutes, I found it.  I should have held out and saved myself the embarrassment of him knowing that I am a lunatic.  He will find that out eventually anyway.  But I did find it.  (In the suitcase where I thought I had packed it, but couldn't see it the previous 12 times that I looked.  I hate that.)  So we flew to Cancun, and took a van to our resort.  For 6 days, it was nothing but sun, sand, and sleeping.  And possibly some other things that I won't point out for the sake of propriety.  I decided that resort food is mediocre, but they make up for it by offering lots of it.  In an effort to find something delicious, I ate a lot of it.  I read books in hammocks, and I drank smoothies on the beach.  We went snorkeling and shopping, although not at the same time.  And then we said goodbye to Mexico and came home.

Then we set to work on preparing for reception #2.  Because our wedding was small, we decided to have an additional reception that included our friends and church families.  We wanted this to be a dinner reception, and so we enlisted the help of two of our wonderful friends, who happily cooked dinner for our 90+ guests.  We spent several days turning a church fellowship hall into a party (if you know church fellowship halls, this is no easy task), and this past Sunday night, we were able to spend time with some of our favorite people.  And we got presents.  And both of those things are fun.

So now we are back to regular life.  At least I hope so.  Everyone keeps asking how married life is, and it's great 3 1/2 weeks in.  Is anyone unhappy with married life 3 1/2 weeks in?  I am getting used to living with a person who wakes up between 3:30-5:30 a.m., depending on Jake's work schedule.  He is getting used to living with someone who leaves her shoes everywhere and holds onto things far longer than is reasonable.  We are both adjusting fine.  We are both still having those "oh my goodness... we are married" moments.  The good ones, not the bad ones.  So, there's what's been going on with me.  What have YOU been doing?

Comments

  1. I am at that "oh my God we're married" moments - the bad ones! :-) Adelita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts